You know those people that analyze and collect data before making a decision? That’s me! I must have a solid plan, and prepare myself for the task ahead. If you are having doubts about your preparedness for potty training, you are not alone. In my eBook, Potty Training With Less Mess and Less Stress, I point out a few things each parent should consider before embarking on the journey of potty training.
1. Is there a major holiday around the time you are potty training? Wait until the holiday or vacation is over before potty training. It will be less stressful on you and your child.
2. Have all of the supplies for potty training before you begin. You do not want to take your child to the store the first day because you forgot to buy stickers.
3. Mark a date on the calendar to begin, and plan out potty training in advance. You will be prepared and can start talking to your child about becoming a big boy and using the potty. Talk enthusiastically to your child about potty training. Show him the big boy potty and training pants, and get him excited about wearing big boy underwear.
4. Schedule a break or two for yourself. There will be days when your child just doesn't get it, and you will become frustrated. Plan a break for yourself, and put it on the calendar. Ask your spouse, a friend, or family member to take over on potty training duty for a couple of hours. Take time to relax and do whatever you want to do. This will allow you to recharge your batteries so you don’t blow up in your toddler’s face.
5. Pray before you start potty training. I was dreading potty training so much that it turned my stomach into knots. After all the research and planning I had done, I still needed to pray. I prayed that my child would understand the potty training, that he wouldn't make too many messes, that I would have the patience needed to train him, and that he would learn quickly. You may think it’s silly to ask God for these things, but He really does care.
Would you add anything to the list? For more information, tips, and encouragement on potty training, check out my eBook. Potty Training With Less Mess and Less Stress is available now!