When Mom Was Diagnosed with Brain Cancer

Mom two years before the diagnosis.
One year ago today, my mom was taken into surgery to remove a racket ball size brain tumor. It was a day that I will never forget, and one of the worst days of my life. She had been having high blood pressure and not making sense. My Dad knew something was seriously wrong and rushed her to the hospital. After explaining her symptoms to the ER doctor, they decided to do a CT Scan.

The doctor came back with terrible news of a brain tumor, and she was admitted to the hospital. She was diagnosed with Stage 4 glioblastoma. A few days later on September 18, 2013, my mom was wheeled into pre-op. My husband was literally half way around the world on a business trip, I was extremely sick, and we just found out that I was pregnant with our third child. I didn't want to chance getting Mom sick, so I stayed home. She called me before the surgery, and I wanted to reach through the phone and hug her, cry on her shoulder, and tell her face to face how much I loved her. I struggled whether I should tell her that I was pregnant. We were only 6 weeks along, but I had to tell my Mother. I didn't know if I would ever speak to her again.

Mom and me almost a month after her first surgery.

"Mom, what do you have going on in May of next year?" I asked. My Dad asked if I was pregnant, and I could hear Mom's excitement coming through the phone. I told her that she had to make it through the surgery so she could meet her third grandchild. There are no words to describe how emotionally and physically drained I was that day. However, it didn't compare to what my Mom was going through.

A few hours later I received the call that she was in recovery and doing well. It was the best news! We were told that the tumor was mostly removed, and only time would tell how quickly the cancer would return. In the past year, Mom has had 4 surgeries, chemo, radiation, and the family was called in twice to say our good-byes. My sister and I spent more days, weekends, and sometimes weeks at the hospital tending after our mom than we ever expected. Rachel, my sister, has been amazing and cared for Mom unselfishly. Since I was pregnant, I could not travel as much as I had hoped, and my sister would go in my place. Likewise, this has been a trying year for my Dad. He is the primary caregiver, and they lives 3 hours away from the rest of the family. Anyone who has been in his position knows that it is trying and stressful.

Mom, Dad, and Pierce two weeks ago.
I thank my Lord, Jesus Christ that he has answered prayer and gave my Mother another year of life. She was able to come down for Pierce's 3rd birthday. Although, my Mother is not the same woman she was before the surgery, I'm grateful to hear her voice, see her smile, and hug her tight.

Love you, Mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment