Guys are just different. They have to be reminded to take out the trash, but always remember when their favorite team is playing. Men see a boat and begin to drool, or they hear about the next awesome video game and have to buy it. Giving a man respect is like giving a woman love. We need it.
How do we show our husbands the respect they need? I'm sure there are many ways, but these are my top 5.
1. Always speak highly of your husband in front of others. This one isn't always easy to do, but speaking well of your husband is a great way to show respect. Compliment him, tell stories of how he saved the day, and brag about what a great dad he is in your conversations. You may have just had a fight, but when you are in public you should have nothing but praise for him. I know this may seem hypocritical, but there is no need to air out your dirty laundry in public.
2. Thank him for providing for you and your family. If you have a husband that gets up every day to go to work, brings home a paycheck, and gives you a safe place to live, then you are blessed. Write him a note and leave it some place he will see it. The simple act of saying 'thank you' will brighten his day and show him the respect he deserves.
3. Talk to him as an adult. Being around children all day or constantly correcting your children can sometimes bleed over to your conversations with your husband. If he forgets to change the oil in the car, your reaction is to scold him and nag until it gets done. He doesn't need a nag or a mother. He needs a partner and an occasional reminder. Leave him a note, send him an email, or ask if he had time to do get whatever it is done. We all forget things in our busy schedules.
4. He needs intimacy. Guys speak the love language of sex. That's one of the ways they show love to you. I'm not saying you have to be a vixen in the bedroom every night to show your husband respect. Having a regular date night, wearing lingerie (even if you don't think you look good in it), and getting your groove on will meet his need.
5. Take care of yourself. Nothing will give a husband pride like having a well dressed and well groomed wife on his arm. We exude confidence when we feel and look good, and our husbands take notice. Have respect for how you look when he comes home and when you go out in public. I'm not saying you need to dress to the 9's every time you go grocery shopping. Men are visual creatures, and putting forth effort will show him that you have respect for him and yourself.
I confess that I do not have all of the answers. These are things that I have to work on all the time. I want my husband to be happy, loved, and respected, and it takes effort on my part to make that happen. Do you have any suggestions for showing your husband respect?